sábado, 27 de septiembre de 2014

Bob the Meerkat - Meerkat Corner



Yo all you faithful meerkats and meerkitties! I have received so many fan letters asking yours truly things like: Bob how old are you? Bob do you have a Mrs.Bob the Meerkat? Bob what´s your favourite bin-food? Bob where do you normally chill? Well… after long consideration I thought I wouldn´t answer any of these questions but rather start what I call “Meerkat Corner” and give my lovely readers a bit of the 411 on the hipkat they call Bob the Meerkat.
Today I´d like to review a book/movie (I read the book then saw the movie) that I read/saw in the summer. I have absolutely no idea what it´s called in English, but in German it´s called “Der Ganz Grosse Traum” which means basically “The Great Big Dream”. It is a true story of an English teacher of German origin, who lived many years in Britain, who returns to Germany to teach English in a local all-boys school. The school sees his job as an experiment and the students think it is a waste of time because in this era (1874) the Germans see the English as barbarians. Luckily he brings a new sport with him, football. He uses this sport to motivate and teach the boys English and they end up loving it. Naturally the school board and the local citizens find the sport as a threat and everything takes a turn for the worse when the school board begins having trouble with a rich powerful father.
Sounds good, doesn´t it? Well I must say I loved the book and the movie stayed true to the book with the illustrious actor Daniel Brühl staring as the struggling teacher. The only downside I can find is that there are no meerkats. But since meerkat in German is Erdmänchen (which translates to little earth man) I think the Germans would have found it creepy to include one. Anyway,two big Meerkat tails up! Till next time.
Bob
    

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario